The Secular Ontario AA Roundup (SOAAR) will be held on Saturday, September 7.
Our theme is straightforward: Widening the Gateway. In 1957 in Alcoholics Anonymous Comes of Age Bill Wilson wrote about “the great contribution of our atheists and agnostics. They had widened our gateway so that all who suffer may pass through, regardless of their belief or lack of belief.”
SOAAR, some six decades later, is committed to the same goal: widening the gateway. We are committed to the inclusiveness of our AA Fellowship.
Regardless of an individual’s belief or lack of belief.
And all of this, we trust, will be obvious from the items in our agenda.
The roundup, of course, lasts one day. Saturday, September 7. And it runs from 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM.
And here’s the agenda:
- Registration [8:30 – 9:30]
- Welcome to SOAAR 2019 [9:30 – 9:45]
- Morning Keynote Speaker – Joe C., Author of Beyond Belief [9:45 – 10:30]
- Panel 1 (Sanctuary) – Recovery Capital of Canada [10:30 – 11:30]
- Panel 2 (Fellowship Hall) – Spirituality – Dr. Tarman, John M. and… [10:30 – 11:30]
- Assets in Recovery – Those in attendance introduce themselves and name the most important asset in their recovery [11:30 – 12:30]
- Lunch [12:30 – 1:30]
- Panel 3 (Sanctuary) – Service in AA: Chair – Jim W., former Delegate for Area 86 and former Chair of the Hamilton AA Central Office [1:30 – 2:30]
- Panel 4 (Fellowship Hall) – Meditation – Dr. Conrad Sichler and Heather C. [1:30 – 2:30]
- Panel 5 (Sanctuary) The 12 Steps – Roger C. and Bill W., author of Twelve Secular Steps: An Addiction Recovery Guide [2:30 – 3:30]
- Panel 6 (Sanctuary) How to Start an AA Group and Histories of Secular Groups in Ontario [3:30 – 4:30]
- Panel 7 (Fellowship Hall) Step 4, Personal Inventory – Jowita Bydlowska, author of Drunk Mom and Thomas B., author of Each Breath a Gift [3:30 – 4:30]
- Afternoon Keynote Speaker – Dr. Vera Tarman, Addiction Medical Specialist at Renascent Rehab [4:30 – 5:15]
- Thank you for Attending [5:15 – 5:30]
We are still, it is important to repeat, open to suggestions. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch. You can contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
Come soar with us at SOAAR!